When we first moved in, the house had a nice freeform garden bed set up by the previous owner. He had put it in a 4-5 bushes, two unruly rosebushes, and a small Japanese maple. I knew I wanted to add color to the front. It was just too much green.
Throughout our first summer, I thought about what I wanted to do. As I pruned the rosebushes back, after what seemed every rainstorm, I realized that they needed to go. I couldn’t work near them them without risking a scratch or poking out an eye. So during the fall, I dug them out and a few of the other bushes and took them to a plant swap. They were quickly snatched away by other gardeners. As happy as I was to see them gone, the other gardeners were just as happy to take them to add to their gardens. (A win-win for everyone!)
I also took out a cypress that had started to die. I think it had been planted in the wrong spot. He ended up in the compost bin. After my surgery, the bed was looking pretty bare. At the plant swap, I was able to pick up some plants (daisies, sedum, and day lilies). I had also planted some mums during the fall so that it wouldn’t look so bare. This spring, the bed looked like this.
With some sweat, a few trips to the local nursery and Lowes, mulch, growing some plants from seeds, and rearranging some plants, the bed is now popping with color. Yipee!
And where the cypress used to be, I planted a very large mum that a friend gave us as a house warming gift. It has been thriving in its new home. I can’t wait for it to bloom. (Just ignore the clover, I haven’t had a chance to weed. Hee-hee!)